Saturday, February 14, 2009

~Valentine's Day~


Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!!

It's one of those lonely days without partner beside you, but lovers around you.
Well, I have been having lonely Valentine's day for 21 years, and I found out yesterday! Haha...

I guess I'll be celebrating with single guys in the hostel then.


I read about Saint Valentine a long time again and today it reminds me of looking back to his story. It was actually about a priest's courage and rebellious actions against the Roman Emperor - Claudius II. His bravery was then recorded and shown to all, however, people tend to forget the true meaning of his sacrifices and changed Saint Valentine's Day into the Valentine's Day we all know for now.

There's being a bit of linkage of before he was executed, that he wrote the 1st edition of 'Valentine' to a formerly-blinded girl, who was cured by him. Before that, he encouraged couples to get married even though Claudius II needed the single men to become soldiers (because he thought that single men are better fighters than married ones). Valentine still secretly perform marriage ceremonies for those 'eager' couples when Claudius II enforced this preposterous law (I added the word 'eager' to show something I kinda thinking of in every Valentine's Day - find a girlfriend!).

Sources: Wikipedia - Valentine's Day

The rest you have to explore them yourselves.

It's a good story when I read it the first time a few years ago in my English tuition class. I was then realized that the real meaning of Valentine's Day is not all about finding soul mates and dating or some sort. It's the power of Christianity and fighting for rights.


Last night when I was going out with my friends, I saw Valentine stalls on roadsides... EVERYWHERE!

I was like 'OMG' in my head.
"Is Ching Ming coming early this year? Have I miscounted the Lunar Calender? What day is today anyway?"
You'll get what I mean...
They were selling flowers either for the dead or alive. Roses and Chrysanthemums all together in one day, and some in one place.

If this kind of business goes well, maybe I'll invest one too.

P.S. I got myself a Valentine this year from my Goddess, even it's an unseen-able Valentine, I still feel delighted and happy. Maybe I'll write something for my Valentine... hmm... *generating inspirations*

Well, Happy Valentine, my Goddess! Muak! (Seriously, this is my first time to 'virtually' send a kiss to someone openly)

No comments: