Monday, April 20, 2009

Sickening Weekend

Last Saturday... 18th of April,

After I finished up my English & Communication (Part 2) power point early in the morning, I was happily doing my stuff back in hostel.


Until 2 something...

Weather's dry, heating up like an oven. I began to feel the dryness and pain...

My whole body was aching like bones cracking. I was having dehydration. (That was what I think)

Lack of water because of busy doing my homework and... honestly... playing Facebook, O2Mania & Left 4 Dead. Haha... (Still can laugh boh... Haiz...)

Fever came up and headache started to follow, bits by bits. I googled something with Heatstroke, or in Chinese called '中暑'.

This is what I found.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?


After prolonged exposure to hot conditions, the following symptoms of heat exhaustion may develop:

1. Profuse Sweating
2. Fatigue
3. Muscle cramps
4. Nausea and vomiting
5. Faintness and unsteadiness
6. Headache



If exposure to heat continues, the body temperature rises and heatstroke may develop, causing symptoms such as:


1. Cessation of sweating
2. Body temperature of 105 degree Fahrenheit or higher
3. Rapid and shallow breathing
4. Rapid heartbeat
5. Elevated or lowered blood pressure
6. Confusion and disorientation
7. Seizure
8. Fainting, which may be the first sign in older adults


Left untreated, heat stroke may progress to coma. Death may result due to kidney failure, acute heart failure, or direct heat induced damage to the brain.



WHAT CAN I DO TO TREAT IT?


Heat exhaustion can be treated easily. The affected person should rest in a cool place, ideally in an air- conditioned building, and sip cool, salty drinks until he or she feels comfortable. If heat stroke is suspected, he or she should be admitted to the hospital as soon as possible.



FIRST AID FOR ANY HEAT ILLNESS


Move patient to a cool or shaded area.
Remove clothing.
Patient should be lying down with feet elevated, if possible.
Fan patient and sponge skin with cool water.
Provide cool fluids to drink (water is best)--only if the patient is alert!
Contact emergency transport crew.


This is the link for the info :-
http://www.hpathy.com/diseases/heatstroke-symptoms-treatment-cure.asp

FYI: In Chinese's heat stroke cure, we use something with a blunt edge, for coins for example, smudged with oils or creams, and use it to scratch certain part of our skin which later on there will be some reddish scratch marks. This is for the experienced elders only. (I'm still learning that) It's kinda hurt but it heals fast. Or sometimes we use hard boiled eggs inserted with pure silver jewelery in it (rings), wrapped with a piece of cloth. Then rub on one's back to absorb the heat out.


Later I found out about this , I quickly took a gulp of cold water from the water dispenser and bathed for at least 20 minutes. But the situation got worst.

I was feeling fatigue and having a fever, weak like the people in the '30 hours Famine'.
(Never been there before)

But thanks to Chong, he gave me 2 of his fever and headache pills and I was recovered at least 70% by that night. My fever began to fade away and headache reduced to 10%.


Still today the inflammation in my throat is killing me! Can hardly swallow my saliva. Geez...
Plus a rapid cough and hiccups once in a while.

Well, thanks guys for the help and concerns. I'm really appreciated ^o^)

No comments: